How to use ratchet straps correctly can be very straightforward, but mistakes in setting up can easily lead to loads not being held securely in place – particularly when secured on a lorry or van.
Our latest video goes through exactly how to use ratchet straps. You can also find our steps below:
How To Use Ratchet Straps
Use the following steps to safely and easily secure loads using these straps (also known as ratchet lashings or cargo straps):
- Make sure that both parts are a matched pair with the appropriate load rating
- Thread the plain end of the webbing through the slot in the ratchet lever
- Pull it tight to ensure any slack is taken out of the webbing
- Unlock the lever and use until tight
- Lock the lever handle back in place
- Make sure your vehicle has appropriate safe anchor points
- To release, depress the locking catch and release the handle
Be careful not to use your ratchet strap on sharp edges – you run the risk of cutting through the webbing. Either avoid sharp surfaces or put protection over the sharp edge.
For information on the equipment used in the video, click here to view our full range of cargo strips, including ratchet straps/lashings.